Thursday, June 14, 2012

30 Days of Film - Day 14.


14. A movie that no one would expect you to love

This was a tough pick, because I'm pretty predictable in my choices. Films with favourites rate higher for me than films with no favourites, and films that made actors a favourite obviously usually become insta-favourites altogether. But I think Meera, at the time when I watched it, was not a film I expected to really enjoy all that much. Sure, I liked Hema Malini, but I didn't think this slow-moving biopic of Mirabai, a Hindu saint, would precisely be my thing. Of course, the visuals are great, the music is pretty good as well, and perhaps best of all, the film has solid performances from both Hema and Vinod Khanna, who I didn't really know when I first watched it. 

I confess I'm still not huge on arthouse, and will usually only give it a go if a film piques my curiosity for whatever reason. Gulzar's films are never quite arthouse, but they straddle the inbetween area betweent art and commercial cinema, and I think Meera being a favourite of mine is still definitely the exception, not the rule.

No comments: